Wednesday, June 25, 2008

MORE RECIPES.

Here are a few recipes the Chicken Sate is GREAT and very easy I served it with egg drop soup (recipe also below) and fried rice (recipe in previous post). I have made these several times and after pulling them out today I might just have to fix it tonight :)
CHICKEN SATE
from Familyfun.com if you want a a picture to to print. I took a picture once when I made it but I can't find it now.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
Chicken and Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 to 2 garlic cloves crushed
1 teaspoon sesame oil (I JUST USE VEG. OIL SINCE SESAME IS HIGH IN PRICE)
1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
Saté Sauce
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce, or to taste
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 scallions, chopped (optional)
1. For the chicken and the marinade: Whisk all the ingredients except for the chicken together in a medium bowl. 2. Add the chicken cubes, turn to coat, cover, and marinate them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24. (The sauce can be made ahead too and chilled for the same amount of time.) 3. Heat the oven to 500 degrees. Thread the chicken onto skewers, if you're using them, or just put the pieces on a foil-lined pan. If you plan to use bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 1 hour beforehand. Bake for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. 4. Meanwhile, for the saté sauce: Whisk together the broth, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, and sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. 5. Over low heat, whisk in the peanut butter (it will be messy at first) until smooth. Whisking constantly, heat the sauce until it has thickened, about 10 minutes. 6. Add the optional scallions. Serve the sauce as a dip for the chicken along with any cut-up raw vegetables your children might also want to dip. Serves 4.

EGG DROP SOUP
SUPER EASY TAKES MAYBE 10 MINS.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 egg, lightly beaten
10 to 12 fresh snow peas (I USED FROZEN REGULAR PEAS SINCE THAT IS WHAT I HAD AND WORKED GREAT)
1 green onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped ham (optional)
1. Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. In a separate bowl, combine the water and cornstarch, then stir the cornstarch mixture into the simmering broth. 2. Bring the broth to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Slowly pour in the egg and gently stir it with a fork in one direction only, stirring slowly for long strands of egg, more rapidly for thinner shreds. Add the snow peas, the green onion, and the ham, if desired. Let the soup stand for a few minutes before serving. Serves 4.

Here is a picture my vegetables from the other night when I was making Fried rice just before I added the rice to the pan. As you can see I use LOTS of veggies with this and believe it or not John will eat it and there are no vegetables in it that he would eat by themselves.
Ok so I love steamed dumplings when we get Chinese so I thought I would try some at home. While I was making them I thought this is too much trouble but in hindsight it was not. It made 60 (would had made more if I had more wrappers) and I was froze most of them and then last night I pulled a few out and put then in chicken stock and boiled for a few mins and they were great and very quick. This is not something John will eat but makes for a fast lunch during the week since I can us pull a few out or Harrison and me. The first picture is the frozen dumplings and the second is cooked.


I chopped the following in my food processor very fine, carrots, red cabbage, green cabbage, onion, then chopped mushrooms, and bean sprouts by hand. I did put a couple slices of cooked bacon in as well. I added garlic and ginger, salt, pepper, and a little soy sauce and mixed all together. I had a large bowl full of the veggies.
Then take a wonton wrapper put a small spoon full of mixture in the center of wrapper and wet half of the wrapper with your finger and fold it over. Repeat till all are full. then I steamed them over broth for about 15 mins. I froze what we did not eat at that time. Then take from freezer and I dropped in boiling broth for about 5 mins. turning once. Both ways, steaming, and boiling were good.
I made a dipping sauce out of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hot chili oil, and a little rice vinegar.




Rustic Italian Bread.
Mom sent me this recipe a few months ago and I just tried it.
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pkg. dry yeast
cornmeal
1 egg white beaten
Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, yeast, and mix well. Add warm water (not hot or the yeast will not work) and oil, mix well, (this is a dry dough) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth about 4 minutes. Place dough in lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. let rise in warm place for 30-40 mins.
Sprinkle ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal. Punch down dough. Cover down with inverted bowl and allow to rest on counter for 15 minutes. shape dough into baguette shaped loaf about 12 inchs long. place dough on cornmeal coated cookie sheet. Cover let rise in warm place for 35-40 mins. or until doubled in size.
Heat oven to 375 degrees, with a sharp knife, cute a 1 inch deep lenght wise slash in top of loaf. Brush loaf with beaten egg white. (I PUT A MIXTURE OF SESAME SEEDS, POPPY SEEDS, SEA SALT, BLACK PEPPER ON THE TOP TOO) bake at 375 for 24-35 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.

1 comment:

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

All looks so yummy. Howdy, you'd commented on my blog regarding price lists of my jewelry. If you could email me your email I'd happily write you back. Thanks Heather Rice casaderice@att.net
http://www.ricetrio.blogspot.com