Monday, June 16, 2008

Recipe and Meal Ideas

A friend of mine, Hannah, just had baby number 3 in less than 3 years. On her blog (http://www.thefieldsblog.blogspot.com/) she asked for recipe ideas that are fast, yummy, and healthy. I thought it was a good idea so I thought I would see if anyone that checks on us had anything they would like to share, if so just leave it in the comment box under this post.
Tonight I made Magic Mineral Broth --This isn’t just a regular vegetable stock. This pot of yum is high in potassium and numerous trace minerals. Sipping this nutrient-rich stock is like giving your body an internal spa treatment. Use it as a base for all your favorite soups and rice dishes. Don’t be daunted by the ingredient list. Simply chop the ingredients in chunks and throw them in the pots, roots, skins, and all. It was easy and pretty good, and I look forward to using it in soups and to boost the rice and pasta we eat. You can get the recipe at http://www.onebiteatatime.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=51Above are the veggies before I added the water and cooked them. When I was done the Mom that was making baby food this time last year could not throw it all away. The sweet potatoes, potatoes, and carrots still were whole so I mashed some up for Harrison.


A Few quick tips...

* I get about 3 pounds of hamburger and brown on the stove with a large onion chopped salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Then drain and divide 5 ways put each selection in a zip lock bag and freeze. This way you can use it when a recipe calls for hamburger I use this amount instead of a pound to save money and calories too. Then you have it for hash, spaghetti sauce, veggie soup, etc. Just put the bag in the microwave on defrost for about 2 mins. I also do this with chicken, I boil a couple pounds tear it apart and freeze in bags for casseroles, soups, etc.

*SAM'S HELP When I go to Sam's (at least once a month) I always get one of their take and bake pizzas (if i have some meat for it I get cheese if not I get the meat type) then at home I add veggies and a little extra cheese. For example on John's part I put onions, on Harrison's and Mine I put what ever veggies I have greens, mushrooms, onions, sun dried tomatoes etc. They are so big it lasts for 2 meals. (about $8)I also always pick up a spring mix salad kit with dressing, baby spring mix, feta cheese, and dried cranberries. If I have apples or Mandarin oranges I add them too. We can never eat all of this (about $6)I also get a Rotisserie chicken. I warm in the oven for meal number 1 with veggies or salad listed above then tear the rest up for a chicken poppy seed casserole. or other casserole (about $6)And I get a fresh pineapple (about $3) If I get these things I have four whole meals with salad left over for $23 Not too bad on the wallet and easy for busy days.

Recipes...

Hamburger Hash

In large pan. Brown hamburger with one diced onion, salt, pepper, garlic salt or real garlic. I use about ¾ of a pound but can use more or less.

Drain and sit aside

In the pan coat the bottom of pan with veg. Oil then put in one bag of frozen diced potatoes ( you can use regular potatoes it just takes forever to get them ready.) Use salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste until the potatoes are soft and brown.

Stir in hamburger

Cover with shredded cheddar cheese.

Eat, we like it with hot sauce or ketchup


On the frozen dish remove from freezer the night before you need it and let it thaw over night in the fridge. Then put in over until hot throughout 350 degrees.


Tilapia or other white fish

I buy a bag or bags of Tilapia when on sale, usually has 4 –6 piece of fish in the bag and goes on sale at Kroger or Wal-Mart often for 3.99 or 2.99.

Dice one onion and one green pepper and place in the bottom of 8x13 baking dish place frozen fish over. Season as you like. I use salt, pepper, and garlic, parsley flakes. Then put a small piece of butter on top of each piece of fish then I put a slice of lemon on top of the butter. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 mins, until fish is white and will pull apart easily with a fork.

I serve over your favorite rice and lemon.


Fried rice

Cook a few slices of bacon (cut) with a small onion diced. Put to the side.

Scramble an egg in the same pan next, put aside with the bacon.

(I cook white rice 4 or 6 servings)

In the same pan with a little veg. Oil cook sliced carrots, red cabbage. I use more pepper and garlic salt here. Cook for about 3-5 mins. Then add frozen broccoli (it is so cheap) baby corn, water chestnuts, bean spouts (drain all cans) . Or any other veg. You have in the fridge. Add soy sauce (I use lite with less sodium) once all vegs are cooked the way you like add the bacon, egg, and rice. Add more soy to taste and I add sesame seeds till all is mixed well and enjoy.

I CUT ALL OF THIS UP WHEN HARRISON IS NAPPING SO I CAN THROW IT IN A PAN AT DINNER TIME. PUT THE BEAN SPORTS, WATER CHESTNUTS, ON THE BOTTOM SINCE THEY ONLY COOK AND FEW MINS. THEN BROCCOLI. THEN THE HARDER STUFF LIKE CARROTS ETC)

We eat this as the whole meal. You can add chicken to the top or fish if you want.

Poppy seed Chicken

Boil about a pound of chicken and dice.

Mix chicken with 1-2 cans of cream of chicken soup, a can of diced water chestnuts, 2 servings of cooked white rice, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and about 2-3 table spoons of poppy seeds. Spread in the baking dish.

Cover with one sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed and mixed in a stick of melted butter and cover the chicken rice mix. Back at 350 degree for about 30 mins.

I serve with green beans or other fruit or veg.

Chicken and potatoes

After dinner or in the morning I bake potatoes (I use golden potatoes) just how many will fit in a 9x13. In another 9x10 I bake a couple chicken breasts with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and other seasonings you like. I bake at 325 for about an hour (long enough to get the kitchen cleaned up baby to bed clothes switched etc) when they done cool or put in the fridge. I dice potatoes and chicken up, at dinner time I put some onions and peppers in the pan till soft, then put in chicken and potatoes by the time they are hot your meal is done with little effort and little clean up I sprinkle a little Parmesan on top and serve with beans or salad

3 comments:

LeslieMiller said...

Beef Stir Fry


2 TBS. cornstarch
2 Tsp. sugar
6 Tbs soy sauce (reduced sodium)
¼ cup water
1 pound boneless beef round steak cut into strips (you could use chicken)
3 cups broccoli florets
2 medium carrots thinly sliced
1 pkg. (6 oz) frozen pea pods, thawed
2 Tbs chopped onion
2 tbs vegetable oil, divided
Hot cooked rice

In a bowl, combine first 4 ingredients until smooth. Add beef and toss to coat; set aside. In a large skillet, stir fry broccoli, carrots, pea pods and onion in 1 Tbs. oil for 2 minutes then cover and simmer for 4 minutes. Add beef mixture (and other Tbs. oil if things are sticking to the pan). Cook until meat reaches desired doneness. Serve over rice.

** I bought a pkg. of veggies (minus pea pods) at Aldi that said “oriental vegetables” I just threw away the sauce that came with them. It was broccoli, carrots and onion so it cut my chop time back to zero!

1 serving: 313 calories, 12 g fat, 7 g fiber (this is without rice)
__________________________________
This is a recipe for two. You can add more. And change it up in many ways:
Take two chicken breasts. Slice each one open, so that there is a cavity in there. I insert a slice of romano cheese, some fresh sage (chiffonade), and a slice of pear. Use toothpicks to close it.
Add some olive oil to a pan (not too much!). When it's hot, add your chicken breasts. Brown on each side for a few minutes. Remove them from heat, add some apple cider (sorry, I don't have a written recipe!). Deglaze pan with cider. Add the breasts back to the pan, let them simmer in the apple cider sauce until cooked through.

_________________________________
Taco Soup
Makes (12) 1 cup servings

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground turkey (or lean ground beef )
1 large onion, chopped
1 pkg. Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning mix
1 can Pinto Beans
1 can Chile Hot Beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can stewed tomatoes (Mexican flavor)
1 can stewed tomatoes (any flavor)

Brown meat and onions, drain. Mix Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix and
taco seasoning mix into meat. Then, without draining, add all of the other
ingredients. Simmer 1 hour. If you can find the reduced sodium taco
seasoning and the reduced sodium Hidden Valley it is very helpful because
of the high sodium count in both the seasonings and the chili hot beans.
This is delicious served with Baked Tostitos chips
(they aren't in the point count per cup serving).

SERVING SIZE: 1 cup soup

POINTS: 2

The Baked Tostitos chips are 2 points for 9 chips.
____________________________

Aaron has been trying hard to lose weight and these are a few of the yummy things that he has loved
Leslie

Anonymous said...

ATN. If you have not had Ann Kelly's fried rice it out of this world delicious. The hash is great also, anything my Daughter-in-law cook is GREAT.

Carol said...

I am going to Sam's today! You are good! :-)