Monday, July 7, 2008

Harrison and Food what else could a girl need.

Here is Harrison cleaning off the beater tonight :) he thinks it i great fun.

Below are some pictures from a year ago today. He is growing too fast. He is still sleeping well, three weeks now that he is sleeping at least from 11-5. His naps are still not evened out. He will sleep 3 1/2 hours one day then like today he slept an hour this morning and would not lay back down. He "rested" this afternoon for about 45 mins. the whole time he said "Mama, Mama, MOM, Mama, Mama, Jake, Jake, Mama, MOM" not upset just calling for me. So he headed to bed at 6:30 tonight I put toys in his bed since I thought it might take a while for him to go to sleep and I was wrong, he was in there about 10 mins before he was out.








Asian-Style Cashew Chicken from Rachel Ray
(but you know I changed it up.)
This is the recipe and I will tell you what I changed too.



3 Tsp. oil
1 Tsp. butter
3 cups chicken stock
1 large onion 1/4 choppend, the rest thinly sliced
1 1/2 lbs chicken Breast --> I used thighs from the chicken stock I made earlier in the day. 1 1/2 brown rice, --> I used a long grain organic brown rice and it was a little tough and needed more flavor so keep that in mind.
2 Tsp. grill seasoning
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red bell epper, thinly sliced --> I used red and green that I had diced in the frezzer, I clean cut and freeze when they are in season or on sale :) they do great in cooked dishes.
1 cup cashews
1 cup pea pods, chopped --> I used frozen sweet peas, since neither of my boys will eat peas in the pod.
2-3 Ts. chopped fresh cilantro or flat- leaf parsley -->I used parsley since that is what I had
2 cups fresh bean sprouts (they cooke down to nothing)
1/3 Tamari (aged soy sauce) --> I used about a Tsp. of lite soy sauce
1/2 cup duck sauce --> I used about 1/4 cup of sweet and sour sauce.
In a medium pot over medium heat, combine 1 Ts of oil, and butter. when butter melts add the chopped onions and cook for 2 mins. then add the rice and cook for 3 more mins.
Add the stock and cover the pot. Raise the heat to bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low for 17-18 mins stirring occasionally.
while the rice cooks, make the chicken. Heat a large skillet add remain oil, and chicken season with grill seasoning. Lightly brown the chicken on both sides and move to one side of the pan.
Add the remaining onions, garlic, and bell peppers, cook for 2-3 mins. then season with tamari and duck sauce. add the cashews and cilantro or parsley and serve oer the brown rice.
I do most of my shopping at the local grocery which I can walk to so I don't always have the selection of what I need. They did not have Tamari so I used the soy sauce I had they also did not have duck sauce so I used sweet and sour that is the same color as the duck.
Below is some of my chicken broth from today. The store had organic celery and carrots on a big sale to day ($1 a bunch for each) so I made some stock, I have been needing some more. I just used a package of Thighs, three cut up carrots, four stocks of celery cut up, a large onion cut in fourths, whole garlic cut in half, salt, pepper and a few cloves, and the parsley I had that needed to be used up. I then took the bones out of the thighs and cut it for my dish tonight.

In my Last post I mentioned left over Italian sausage so I thought I would post that recipe too. On the forth we grilled out so I put two packages of Italian sausages on the grill ( I always grill for at least two meals when we grill, it makes for a easy meal the next day)

We had them on the forth with onions, pepper, and mushrooms on buns, the normal way.

Then Sat. I tried a new recipe, called Cajun Potato Salad, but I served it as a meal not a salad, John said he really liked it too.

Then I used the last sausage for the pizzas' yesterday.

Cajun Potato Salad

2 lbs small red potatoes cut in fourths (I used yellow potatoes since that is what I had and I sliced them)

1/2 cup chopped red onion

1/2 sliced yellow onion

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

6 Tsp cider vinegar

1/2 lb smoked kielbasa or Cajun sausage, sliced (I diced the Italian sausage)

6 Tsp olive oil

1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard

2garlic cloves, minced

peeper, and cayenne pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender (I used my veg. stock from the freezer) drain, In skillet, cook sausage and onions, in oil for 5-10 minutes until brown, remove. Put vinegar, mustard, garlic, pepper, cayenne pepper (I added a little water too) bring to a boil while whisking. Put potatoes and sausage back in skillet to cover and warm toss in parsley right before serving.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the compliment - let me know what recipes you tru! I love your photos and tasty recipes too :o)

Hannah Fields said...

i have not posted a comment in a while but i read every one of your posts and have really enjoyed them. thanks for putting recipes on your posts. I love looking at them!