Sunday, August 10, 2008

Just another post



Not much to report from this weekend. John worked Sat. so Harrison and I spent part of the day at the office too. Harrison plays and watches Curious George and naps while we are there while I clean, file, send mail out etc. Then we worked around the house too. As you can see in the pictures above that Harrison is still having great fun with John's old truck.

You may remember this spring John cut down several trees in the yard and we finally got the stumps ground down this week (all six of them) so we had lots of saw dust and dirt and ground up wood. Harrison and John worked hard getting it all cleaned up. You may have to click on the one picture on the left to enlarge it to see Harrison riding in the wheel barrel. They had lots of fun. You know when you work outside in the summer you get thirsty and the boys thought it was great fun to get a drink from the water hose.





I am always on the lookout for good bread recipes, If you have a yummy bread recipe please share, I hate buying bread since it is something easy to make and even freeze for latter and it just makes you feel good to to bake bread and see your family enjoy it.
Anyway tonight I made Oat, flax, walnut bread. It was so so YUMMY I found the recipe an old classmate's wife's blog which she always has great looking recipes. I have not tried too many since John would not eat all of it but I do have a few I would love to try. Below you can check it out here http://johnstonesvinblanc.blogspot.com.

Below is the recipe for this yummy bread. I was out of wheat flour so I used 2 cups of organic unbleached all purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups organic unbleached bread flour. Next time I will use wheat instead. I also added about 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. Other than that I followed the recipe with the exception of not using the bread machine. I put my dough in my stand up mixer with the dough hook.

Oat Flax Walnut bread
2 cups warm water
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp ground flax
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup walnut pieces
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp instant yeast

Place warm water, oats and flax in a small bowl and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Then add the mixture to the bread pan of the bread machine. Add the remaining ingredients in order listed; make a well in the flour and add the yeast. Set on dough cycle, press start.

When dough cycle is finished, take dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased bread pan; cover and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 400*. Slash loaf down the middle. Right before placing the loaf in the oven, splash 1 oz water in the oven for steam. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees.

What Veggies I am freezing

I have had a few questions about what veggies I have been freezing so here is a quick list.

Spring

Asparagus -- My Dad had a great source for fresh asparagus and I got a couple pounds a week
and would freeze half of it after I cleaned it and cut into bit size pieces. Then I can pull a handful out for stir fry, fried rice, pizza, pasta dishes etc.

Strawberries -- again Dad hooked me up, I did not make any jelly or jam but wish I had I did freeze what we could not eat fresh or with shortcakes. I top and freeze to have for shakes and smoothies all year YUMMY

Summer

Peaches and Apples -- peeled and sliced and freeze for cobblers or shakes and smoothies all year tool. Black Berries or Raspberries -- clean and freeze for cobblers and smoothies, I got great ones this year from the Amish while visiting Nicki, hoping they get more too, she is on the look out for me :)

Bell Peppers and Banana Peppers -- I cook with lots of peppers but am not a big fan of them so I never use a whole pepper in a dish. This way I always have them on hand and don't waste any. I clean and slice my peppers then freeze. Then I can pull just what I need out to use they thaw in no time so I just throw them in straight from the freezer they even break and cut to smaller pieces really easy frozen.

Zucchini -- Again not my fave but I shred some and freeze pre measured in 2 cup bags for zucchini bread all year.

Sweet Potatoes -- Harrison likes sweet potatoes french fries. I took Sweet potatoes from the garden boiled them for just a couple mins. then cut into fries. Spread them out on cookie sheets to freeze then put in bags so I can pull just a hand full out for lunch or dinner. I take them right out of the freezer and put them in a hot over at 400 degrees for about 15-20 mins.

Corn -- Cut off the cob

I am sure there is more but that is all I can think of right now.

No comments: