Monday, September 8, 2008

A few reciepes from the weekend

Chicken Cheese Enchiladas ( one of our faves)

1 pkg taco seasoning mix (I have my seasoning in bulk and use a little more than what a pack would be)

1 T olive oil

1/2 cup water

1 lb chicken cooked and cut in small pieces

3 cups shredded Monetary Jack Cheese

15 oz Ricotta cheese

1 can chopped green chilies

1 egg

1 jar of salsa

1 pkg tortillas ( I use whole wheat)

cook chicken dice and add oil and water with taco seasoning keep on heat till water is gone sit aside

mix 2 1/2 c of cheese, ricotta, green chilies, egg, (I sometimes add a little spinach, but don't tell John).

pour 1/2 jar of salsa in the bottom of a 9x11 baking dish the put a layer of cheese mix and a layer of chicken on tortilla and roll and place in the baking dish on top of salsa.



Once all are in pan put the rest of the cheese on the top and bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins.
I serve on a bed of spinach with salsa and sour cream on top with chips and salsa. YUMMY


Oat, Flax, Walnut Bread I have posted this before but I Have had two people ask for it today so I thought I would re post. The picture shows two loaves, this recipe is for just one loaf but I like to make two at a time so I can freeze one.

2 cups warm water
1 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp ground flax
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 wheat germ)
1/3 cup walnut pieces ( I also add 1/4 c sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 Tbsp honey
2 tsp instant yeast

Place warm water, oats and flax in a small bowl and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Then add the mixture to the bread pan of the bread machine. Add the remaining ingredients in order listed; make a well in the flour and add the yeast. Set on dough cycle, press start.
When dough cycle is finished, take dough out onto a floured surface and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased bread pan; cover and let rise in a warm place for 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 400*. Slash loaf down the middle. Right before placing the loaf in the oven, splash 1 oz water in the oven for steam. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread has reached an internal temperature of 190 degrees.

Cranberry White Chocolate Blondies (made with dark cherries :))

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips (I used 1/2 butterscotch and 1/2 white chocolate)
1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (I used frozen dark cherries quartered since that is what I had but cranberries would be better)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spritz an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray; set pan aside.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined. Mix in white chocolate and 1/2 cup cranberries.
Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Add the remaining cranberries to the top and gently press into batter. Bake for 42 to 45 minutes.

Sweet Potato Bread I have sweet potatoes from Dad's garden and we are not real big sweet potato fans so this is a yummy way for us to use our fresh sweet potatoes.
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I use 1 cup white flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup water
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Combine sugar and oil; beat well. Add eggs and beat. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with water. Stir in sweet potatoes and chopped nuts.
Pour batter into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (or 2 small loaf pans). Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about one hour. (I made 4 mini loaves and cooked for about 40 mins)

3 comments:

Carol said...

I'm really not sure how we ever became friends...were you this crafty in college? :-) I don't see how in the world you find time to do all the stuff you do. You are my hero...seriously! :-)

Ann Kelly Parkhurst said...

ok Carol, I don't know about Hero, I just try to keep sane :) you know I went from Teaching full time, being a preschool/children's minister part time (if that is possible) and going to Grad school to staying at home with nothing else to keep my time other Than Harrison. Sure he keeps me hoping but I can only play trains and and blocks for so long a day. :) but thanks :)

Jessica said...

Your blondies and bread look awesome - glad you enjoyed the recipe! I love the sunflower seed/walnut combo you used too!