Monday, November 24, 2008

update

I have had several comments and emails about this month's grocery list and menu ideas. I don't do well with planning a week worth a meals at a time which a lot a people find lots of success with. So what works best for me is to have items for several recipes here at home with a list on my fridge that I cross off as I cook something.


We Only get paid once a month so I try to get as much as possible on payday so I don't have to worry about it the rest of the month. I do usually mid month have to make a pretty good trip for new veggies and fruit. I get fresh stuff for the first week then try to use what I have in the freezer and canned the second week then get more fresh goodies for the last couple weeks of the month.

I head to Sam's first (which this month I had a really big trip I needed to really stock up on stuff that I only get every few months, (canned goods, pork loin that I divide 4 ways and freeze to make four meals). I also get 3 lbs of bacon and divide 4 ways and freeze and do the same with sausage. I also get pasta (fresh type) and freeze half. Then usually the next day I head to Whole foods and Kroger for the things I have not gotten anywhere else.


I buy as much organic as possible and as unprocessed as possible. Once I really started watching what we eat I have felt much better and that is when Harrison really started sleeping better. I have done a lot of research and the chemicals tat are used in the growing of our food, the additives, and dies in our food can really affect behavior not only how our bodies are able to not able to process our food. It does take a commitment on our part to not give in to the convenience foods but it is well worth it.Now we still eat out and Harrison gets chicken nuggets from time to time but we really try when we are home. So we buy organic when ever possible when we can afford it, now for you fellow coupon clippers these items rarely have coupons, but you just have to save other places. .


When I go to Sam's I get a take and Bake pizza which is about $7 and it feeds us for two meals. Now this is one of those things that are not organic so we can still have fun with our food :) I add veggies, as you can tell Harrison my side has more veggies than John's.

I also always get a rotisserie chicken when I make my Sam's trip. For one the chicken and pizza give me quick meal while I am tried from shopping :). This month we had the chicken for one meal with veggies and rice, then the rest was shredded for Chicken Enchiladas which we love.

Then the next meal I made Taco soup to have with our leftovers Yummy


Taco Soup

I put this in my crock pot for about 4 hours on high
1 lb ground beef browned
2 can chopped tomatoes,
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans,
undrained1 can white corn,
drained1 package taco seasoning
1 package ranch dressing mix (have taco and ranch in bulk, I used 1/4 cup of each)
1 can beef broth
garlic to taste

put everything in a large pot and simmer for at least 30 minutes.

This was breakfast one morning, a Soda Bread, that I over cooked but mom has had good success with this recipe so when I try again if I like I will post it. I put a little almond butter on it with a few chocolate chips and fresh pomegranate. YUMMY


I also made a big batch of buckwheat sugar free waffles and we had some for Saturday morning breakfast with fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream which is one of my favorite. I then took the ones left (above) and divided into fourths and froze. Then I pull a little out for breakfast from time to time. I just put them in the oven at 350 till warm through .



We have also had Baked Spaghetti, pork loin with green beans, and mashed potatoes, homemade veggie and chicken pizzas. I tried a new recipe with white beans and greens when mom was here and we were able to eat it but it will not be fixed again.
I have had some ask where I keep my goodies for a month. Now my cabinets and such are not super clean so bear with me :)

Above is the kitchen fridge, fresh fruit and veggies along with leftovers in the fridge, while the freezer has already made goodies such as dumplings, bread, waffles, etc. the second shelf is fruit, mainly that I froze this summer and stuff for smoothies. Then the third shelf is veggies, fries for John, corn, spinach, broccoli, sweet potato fries, peppers, etc. again most from this summer. the draw is full of meat that I can grab fast and not have to head out to the garage.





Here is the Pantry, above is spices, and fresh fruit then below is mainly baking supplies, pasta, rice, canned and dry beans, grains, and cereal.




Here is what I store in my garage. In my frezzer I have mainly meat, chicken, pork loin, and beef (thanks to Dad that raises his own beef and gives us part). the fridge in the garage has drinks and lot milk for John and Harrison . the freezer on the fridge has the last things frozen so they can be laid flat to freeze, some frozen potatoes for John's favorite Hamburger hash. Below are extra canned goods store bought and homemade, along with extra juice, ketcup etc.



2 comments:

The Snell Family said...

Too much info! Did you feel the need to make up for not posting in forever?.....:)

Ann Kelly Parkhurst said...

this is what happens when I don't have my camera :) and it looks liek it will be a while :( I will try to slow down next time.. I have also been at the office A LOT the last few weeks so I am all off :)