Friday, January 9, 2009

I NEED CREATIVE HELP!!!

I am in serious need for some Ideas for my Kitchen. We are planning on having the living room and Kitchen painted, including the cabinets and I can't decide on colors. The two rooms are next to each other so that adds to my dilemma. Right not they are basically they same color with the kitchen a little darker. I want to paint the living room and brown/green color to blend with the sunroom that opens up to the Living room and we had other houses painted that color and I loved it. SO..... do I paint the kitchen the same color as the living room or not. Right now the cabinets and walls are painted the same color which I really don't like. I have thought about paining the cabinets black. I hope to within this year replace the original oven, dishwasher, and original microwave, the black fridge will have to stay. We are also looking into adding some more cabinets and a bar to the back wall for more storage and get rid of the table.

I will also be replacing the hardware and hopefully be able to move the door handles to the edge of the door, I have no clue why they are in the middle of the doors now. This is a very small kitchen in this 1973 house. It is the room I spend the most time in and it is smallest room of the house and the most out of date. We are not planning on staying in this house forever so we don't want to spend the money on a major redo.



Above is my tile back splash and below is my granite counters.



So let me know what you think, I usually have a plan but this kitchen has left me blank for a year and it needs to be done.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still say go with the colors in the kitchen in the Jan 09 Southern Living magazine on pg 82. I love it. It is colorful. If I had cabinets in need of paint, it is what I would do. With your black and red accents,and stainless to come it would look great. This is a really light room and would counter act the darker living room. On the floor they show a colorful runner, but I bet you could do one of those canvas rugs in matching colors that would hid some of your tile. Just mop it too. I think you will just have to over look the back splash, or is there a product to paint it? Love you, Mom

Carla said...

I know you said about black cabinets, but personally, I would paint the cabinets and all of the doors the same white as the trim. It would look very fresh and clean. I think black will make your small kitchen look smaller. White and lighter colors would make it look bigger. My sister-in-law painted her kitchen a buttercream yellow and her dining room a sage"y" green and it's really pretty. It's hard for me to tell for sure what that would look like w/ the counter top though and you could do stainless or white appliances. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Carol said...

I don't have a creative bone in my body! :-) However, I know that the Porter Paints in BG has a lady that will come to your house and give you tips...and when we moved to our house (5 years ago) it was free if you bought your paint there (at least I think it was free). Just a thought!

The Snell Family said...

I don't like the black cabinet idea either...I think it will make your kitchen seem smaller. Not quite awake as I'm thinking about this but will get back to you...

Leslie Miller said...

You know you are a girl after my own heart painting those cabinets black. I LOVE IT! I don't think it makes things look dark....distinguished is more like it. Be careful painting cabinets though because you will have to poly them several times to keep the black from chipping. The nester is one of my favorite blogs and I posted a link to her sisters kitchen - black cabinets and crystal pulls LOVE IT! Take a peek and maybe it will help you....

http://nestingplacenc.blogspot.com/2008/01/visit-with-my-sister.html

ang said...

i agree w/ your mommy~~~ cause w/ your dishes would be so cool~~

alerts said...

conch246
flee756
keeper489
fair026
dock471